Wednesday, May 2, 2018

It's Not Due Yet

I don't know what it is about looming deadlines that make me suddenly filled with a world of gumption.  Or how the lack of them makes me drag my feet.  Hubs is the same way.  Give that man a deadline and he will meet it, but usually with a frenzy of activity at the end.  It's such a part of us that it's a running joke here at Sanderson Acres now.  "It's not due yet." is an echoing theme hereabouts.

And it's not just us.

The world is filled with people who wait until the night before to do their homework, cram for a test, pay their bills, shop for presents, clean for guests...  Hell, look at the number of people who don't send their taxes in until April 15th.  I've seen news reports of the post office (back when people had to mail paper copies) being totally inundated the night of April 15th, with lines of cars and people all trying to get their taxes dated stamped so they don't get a penalty for being late.

Maybe it's something in our genetic makeup.  Maybe our ancestors waited until the last minute because if they did things sooner, there was a chance some terrible tragedy would wipe out their plans anyway.  I bet the inventor of the wheel waited until the night before it was due.

I will get Sleeping Ugly to my editor on June 1st.  I may be editing furiously the last week of May, but it will be to her on time.  Right now?  I can't seem to muster the gumption to work on it.  Or anything else for that matter.  It's not due yet.  ;o)

What about you? 

1 comment:

  1. Deadlines are my life. Someday, I'll get done early. Because...bucket list. *falls over laughing* Can you tell I'm going on another night of about 3 hours of sleep? Naps and coffee. That's my plan. And work. At some point. ;)

    ReplyDelete