Wednesday, May 9, 2018

And Therein Lies the Rub

I finished reading through Sleeping Ugly last night.  And I hate myself a little.  It ends.  But it doesn't end.  It needs sequels!

Like Wish in One Hand, I never intended for Sleeping Ugly to be a series starter.  And like WIOH, it appears that it's going to be a series whether I am prepared for it to be one or not.

And I am so not prepared for this to be a series.  I don't have clue one about what might happen in the next book.  I have zilch for ideas on a series title.  Or other book titles to go along with 'Sleeping Ugly'.  Nada.  Zip.  Gah.

So, here I've written this awesome book that's so fun and fast and interesting even I had a tough time ripping myself away from the story to make edit notes, a book that's due out in August, and I have no sequels lined up behind it. 

The question now is: Do I stay on schedule and publish this in August knowing any sequels might not be quick in coming OR do I set this aside to write other books in the series so I can release them in sequence while I have my editor do Unequal for an August release?

Gah.

2 comments:

  1. Tough choices. Sooo looking forward to SU! And yeah, I hear you on the sequel bait. As for series title, Gypsy Curses? Without the question mark, of course. That way, you sort of have an open book (no pun indeeded) on plots. You have this old witch wandering around randomly cursing people who piss her off. Except I've just learned that "gypsy" might be offensive to some so maybe not. *sigh* That said, you wanna brainstorm, you know where to find me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but readers LOVE series!
    And series names are SO HARD.

    As to scheduling, I haven't figured that out. All I can do is plug along and put them out when they're ready. ;-)

    But I do suggest you hold out until you have a series name you love, and that fits. Well, maybe not. Can you add a series name after the first one is published?

    ReplyDelete