Friday, August 25, 2017

The Lameness is Upon Us

I only just got back to writing on Early Grave, and the lameness is upon me.  It happens from time to time when I'm in the middle of a first draft.  I reach a point where it feels like everything I write is LAME. 

This could, of course, be partly why I stopped writing on Early Grave when I did.  The lameness was creeping in upon me. 

The good news?  I had an epiphany as I was falling asleep night before last.  Which I promptly forgot until yesterday afternoon.  I then remembered that I had had an epiphany and tried to remember what it was.  And I did!  So I sat here to write it down - in case I should forget it again, because I do that.  While I was writing it down, another epiphany hit me.  Two!  Yay!  One for now and one for a little ways down the road.

So, yeah, the lameness.  I think it hits all writers at some point or another.  Accept that you are writing lame words.  Give yourself permission to suck.  Don't let it get you down.  Keep forging ahead.  But, whatever you do, DO NOT stop writing. 

Everything lame can be fixed in edits.  It's all good, baby.

2 comments:

  1. This. What you said! Absolutely. We have to push through that feeling. It's like staring at a blank page. And double yay for the epiphanies! Next time, write them down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to Early Grave! Boooo to the monster named Lame. Double hoorays for your epiphanies!!

    I've reminded me I had an idea last night to perk up a limp scene. Off to track down that thought - of course I didn't write it down. Grumble. :-)

    ReplyDelete