Friday, December 12, 2014

True Crime Friday - Ripped from The Headlines

Last Saturday in Mississippi, someone called to report a car on fire.  When responders arrived, they found a woman burning alive.  Someone had knocked her on the head, doused her with lighter fluid - including spraying it down her throat and up her nose - and lit her on fire.  She lived long enough to supposedly give information to the responders that may help catch her killers.

One report I read said she had burns over 98% of her body.  There was little chance of her surviving, but she hung on long enough to say something to the people who were helping her.  I hope it was enough.

See now, this is something a writer cooks up in their head to make their killer extra vicious.  It's not something normal human beings do.

In fact, it's something this writer did to make her villain extra vicious.

And the fact that someone out there thought this was a thing to do to someone for real makes me sick.  And it's creeping me out that a plot point I dreamed up for the book I'm working so hard on editing has a mirror in reality.  I never dreamed anyone would actually do something like this. 

In my story, the villain gets what's coming to them.  I hope the animals who did this get what's coming to them, too.

Anyone with information on the murder is urged to contact the Panola County Sheriff's Office at 662-563-6230.

5 comments:

  1. How horrendous. I can't imagine the hate that would make someone do that to another human being. You know, I'm not a huge animal rights campaigner or anything, but I don't like it when we call these people animals. Only humans do this kind of stuff. Animals only kill for food or in defence - they don't kill for revenge, sexual gratification or just plain fun. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm reprimanding you, it's just one of those things that bug me. We are supposed to be an evolved speices - yeah right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S'okay, Fran, we all have our things that bug us. Sorry I hit one of yours today.

      Delete
  2. The most viscous "animals" (as in mammal) in existence are humans. Man's inhumanity to man is the stuff of nightmares, basis of fiction, and leaves me mostly speechless. I have a villain in one of my books. I've been writing that book almost 25 years now. Whenever I spend time in the villain's head, I want to scrub inside and out with boiling water and bleach. He does inconceivable things, except obviously in my head. Yet in those 25 years, I've read news stories detailing acts as heinous as anything this villain has done. The difference? He's not human--he's a Nephalim (fallen angel).

    I feel so sorry for that young woman. She was a teacher. She had her whole life before her. The agony of burns is beyond comprehension for most people. I hope they catch the monster(s) too. It's cases like this that I really wish our judicial system was based on the Old Testament. An eye for an eye. A burning body for a burning body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've had villains like that, too, Silver. Vile and definitely brain-scrubbing worthy. But they're fictional. Real people shouldn't be like that - but then again, if there weren't some truth behind the villains in our novels, no one would buy the characters.

      I feel sorry for her, too. Especially as the details have come out. So sad. And yes, some of that stuff really needs an eye for an eye.

      Delete
  3. How awful! It's horrible to know that people can do that to any other creature, human or animal. I hope they're caught and convicted.

    ReplyDelete