Sunday, June 16, 2013

Beginnings - Be Careful What You Wish For

At this point in the journey, I have no clue what book is next.  There are several partially finished manuscripts from around this time and a couple I finished but never edited.  And my stupid memory can't pinpoint which one is first in line.  I threw a mental dart and came up with this one...

It's called 'Be Careful What You Wish For' and it is totally not finished.  I wrote the beginning.  I wrote the end.  And I wrote a great plot twist for the middle.  It's also very 'first drafty' - which means what little I read of it this morning blows chunks.  But I'm posting it anyway because - in case you haven't been following along - I'm doing this experiment thing where I post the beginning of each of my books in as close to order as I can manage.  I'm hoping it'll show a progression of improvement.  (Not with this one, though... yuck.)

Anyway, here it is:

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 1:

“Quiet!” a voice harshly whispered in the dark. 
“Where is he?  You said he’d be here.  He should have been here by now,” came a nervous reply.
“He’ll be here.  He comes here every morning at this time, and he’d have no reason to change his habits.”
“He knows.  In a minute this place will be swarming with the Feds and they’ll…” 
The hushed whispering was punctuated by a swift slap, and then the silence that was so necessary to their mission finally ensued, albeit briefly as the sound of footsteps finally could be heard along the path.  Gathered in the decorative undergrowth of shrubbery that typically made the park a favorite location for morning strolls as well as a favorite evening spot for young lovers, a few hesitant shapes ducked deeper to avoid any preemptive caution on the part of the individual approaching, a single member of their group standing unafraid before them.  Shortly the sound that they had all been waiting for was upon them and while the shivering and nervous members of the erstwhile gang tensed to spring at the gentleman’s back, their leader merely stepped out onto the path in front of him.
“Good morning, Jack.”  The leader said, his deep voice resonating through the stillness of pre-dawn.
Startled, the gentleman slowly backed several paces up the path until his face softened with recognition.  “Adam!” he said, his voice slowly changing from pleasant surprise to mild irritation, “Long time, no see, but what the hell are you doing here?”
“It’s a long story, Jack, and I don’t really have time to tell it right now.  Suffice it to say that I’m sorry that I have to cut your morning walk short today.”
“Well, you know that I always have time for you, Adam, but I really would have preferred that you make an appointment.  This is my only opportunity to commune with nature, and to get away from prying eyes…”
“My point exactly.”
“I don’t follow.”
“You’re going to have to come with me, Jack.  Now we can do this the easy way and you can casually stroll with me back to my car, or we can do this the hard way.”
“I really don’t have time to…”  The sound of rustling leaves behind him cut short his statement and Jack turned to discover several shadows moving in behind him.  “I don’t understand this, Adam.  What’s going on?”
“There’s something that my colleagues and I would like for you to see, Jack.”
“Well, perhaps if you explain then there won’t be any need for this subterfuge.”
“No time for that.  Not that we expect that you would consent to our plan even if we explained it to you.  Now if you will kindly step this way, sir, we have transportation waiting for you.  Step lively, Jack.”
“I’m not moving a muscle until you tell me what this is all about.”
Suddenly one of the other men spoke.  “Dr. Jeffers?  We’re running out of time.”
“Quite right, Dr. Paulson.”  Adam said to the men behind Jack.  “Shortly you’re going to be overdue, and your watchdogs will come looking for you.”
“It’s just as well.  You’ll never get away with… whatever you’re trying to do.”
Adam motioned to the men.  “Elliott… Gentlemen?  You know what you have to do.”
Poised as if ready to make a break for freedom, Jack was prepared to fight or to flee his potential captors.  In the gathering light of morning, he could make out their silhouettes, and from the looks of it, none of them were the muscular thugs he had envisioned.  He almost laughed at the thought.  His own physique was still well trained from his years in the military, and the thought of a physical battle against a group of scientists was the nearest thing to ludicrous that he could think of.  Jack was prepared for anything; anything except the feeling of a pinprick on the side of his neck followed by the sudden feeling of falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment